Cars on K are back! Celebrate this milestone with the City of Sacramento on November 12 from 4 pm – 9 pm with an inaugural drive down K Street. Stick around for Second Saturday entertainment, a tour of the new K Street and specials at local businesses. Join in on the K Street Scavenger Hunt and as you explore hot spots along K you’ll earn points to win cool stuff from local businesses. As an extra perk, you can park for free at the City’s Capitol Garage located at 10th & L streets.
Did you know? It was 1969 when K Street was closed to cars. During that year, gas cost an average 35 cents per gallon. Neil Armstrong and the Apollo 11 crew landed on the moon. And, Nixon was President. Now, 42 years later, the City of Sacramento is opening up the street once again to vehicular traffic. Register for this free event.
Park for free at the City’s Capitol Garage located at Capitol Garage at 10th & L streets and City Hally Garage at 10th & I streets. [View parking map]
12th & K Stage
4:00 pm – Opening Ceremony & Car Parade
5:00 pm – 7even spinning all night (courtesy of blackbird. Kitchen & Bar)
5:30 pm – Butoh Dancers (courtesy of Rowena & Takashi)
6:30 pm – Smirker (courtesy of Marilyn’s on K)
7:30 pm – Mariachi Latino (courtesy of Mayahuel)
8:00 pm – Spazmatics
9:00 pm – Stage closes
Tour of K Street
Drop in these K Street businesses for special deals, menus and more:
- Esquire IMAX Theatre: 1969 throw back pricing – $2.50 movies starting at 12:15 pm
- Ella Dining Room & Bar: Happy hour pricing from 4 pm to close
- Chops: Order two entrees and receive 30% off wines by the bottle (up to $100)
- Cosmopolitan Cabaret: $5 off tickets to Bingo, the winning musical
- Marilyn’s on K: Happy hour pricing from 3 pm to 8:30 pm
- Rowena & Takashi Salon: Blowout + makeup touch up for $30
- Westfield Downtown Plaza Ice Rink: One free skate rental with receipt from K Street business
- Tequila Museo Mayahuel: Tequila tastings in the Coa Room from 6 – 9 pm. Plus, kids under 10 eat free from Noon to 6 pm with special kids menu.
- The Broiler Steakhouse: Special classic cocktail menu from the 50′s and 60′s. Plus complimentary appetizers.
- District 30: Red carpet photographer and DJ’s spinning
- Pizza Rock: Special kids menu. Drink specials until 10 pm plus $3 specialty drinks with purchase of any pizza including Cruise Control, Rolls Royce, and Lincoln Cosmopolitan.
- Dive Bar: $3 drink specials all night including Red Light Sangria, No U Turn, Traffic Jam, Sippin Speedster and K Street Margarita.
- Cosmo Cafe: $5 cosmopolitans all day
- Crest Cafe: Free appetizer with purchase of any entree platter
- Rite Aid: $0.89 ice cream scoop
- Sun Spex: No tax on all sunglasses on November 12 including Oakley, Ray Ban, Maui Jim, Prada, Versace, Juicy Couture, Burberry, and more.
- Indivisual Eyes: Half off all prescription lenses with a frame purchase on November 12.
- Macy’s: Community Shopping Day - Buy a $10 savings pass to help support local organizations and receive a special 10/20% off discount and $10 of a purchase of $25 or more.
K Street Scavenger Hunt
Play along on the SCVNGR app on your mobile phone for a chance to win cool stuff and discover hidden gems throughout Downtown. Here’s how it works.
• Go to your app store and download SCVNGR. (It’s free!)
• Go to Treks. Select a downtown trek.
• Visit locations, complete challenges, and earn points!
• Top 5 players on the scoreboard by November 14 win prizes from local businesses like restaurant gift cards, tickets to shows & more!
Other Events Scheduled on K Street
- Marilyn’s On K: Ten Mile Tide at 9:30 pm
- Crest Theatre: Like There’s No Tomorrow at 6 pm & 9 pm
- Cosmopolitan Cabaret: Bingo, the winning musical at 2 pm and 8 pm
- K Street Walking Tour at 5 pm
- Broadacre Coffee grand opening
- Chops live performance by blues artist Dennis James from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
Spend the night
Book a night at the Citizen Hotel and ask for the local rate of $119 on 11/12.
K Street in the News
- KFBK afternoon news with Kitty O’Neal and Councilmember Rob Fong and Trisha Flynn from Chops [November 7, 2011] Listen to audio.
- The Sacramento Bee – Cars return to K Street on Saturday [November 9, 20110] Read the article.
- The Sacramento Bee – Cars to return to K Street in downtown Sacramento on Saturday [November 10, 2011] Read the article
- Sacramento News & Review – Cruising K Street [November 10, 2011] Read the article
- News 10 - Sacramento businesses, shoppers, celebrate the return of cars on K Street [November 11, 2011] Read the article